Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors
Search in posts
Search in pages
Filter by Categories
Cardiovascular, Case Report
Cardiovascular, Editorial
Cardiovascular, Images in Cardiology
Cardiovascular, Interventional Round
Cardiovascular, Original Article
Cardiovascular, Preface
Cardiovascular, Review Article
Cardiovascular, Student’s Corner
Case Report
Case Reports
Clinical Discussion
Clinical Rounds
CPC
Debate
Dedication
Editorial
Expert Comments
Expert's Opinion
Genetic Autopsy
Genetics Autopsy
Image in Cardiology
Images in Cardiology
Interventional Round
Interventional Rounds
Letter to the Editor
Media and news
Original Article
Practice in Medicine
Preface
Review Article
Scientific Paper
Short Communication
Student's Corner
WINCARS Activities
Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors
Search in posts
Search in pages
Filter by Categories
Cardiovascular, Case Report
Cardiovascular, Editorial
Cardiovascular, Images in Cardiology
Cardiovascular, Interventional Round
Cardiovascular, Original Article
Cardiovascular, Preface
Cardiovascular, Review Article
Cardiovascular, Student’s Corner
Case Report
Case Reports
Clinical Discussion
Clinical Rounds
CPC
Debate
Dedication
Editorial
Expert Comments
Expert's Opinion
Genetic Autopsy
Genetics Autopsy
Image in Cardiology
Images in Cardiology
Interventional Round
Interventional Rounds
Letter to the Editor
Media and news
Original Article
Practice in Medicine
Preface
Review Article
Scientific Paper
Short Communication
Student's Corner
WINCARS Activities
View/Download PDF

Translate this page into:

Original Article
02 (
01
); 042-046
doi:
10.1055/s-0038-1656458

Should We Confine the Cardio Hepatic Syndrome Only in Congestive Cardiac Failure Patients?

Senior Resident, Department of Cardiology, NIMS, India
Assoc. Professor, Department of Medical Gastroenterology, NIMS, India
Addl. Professor, Department of Medical Gastroenterology, NIMS, India
Address for correspondence dr.b.rajendra@gmail.com
Licence
This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Disclaimer:
This article was originally published by Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd. and was migrated to Scientific Scholar after the change of Publisher; therefore Scientific Scholar has no control over the quality or content of this article.

Abstract

Abstract

Introduction: Liver function abnormalities are not uncommon in patients with heart failure. Multiple reasons have been cited like impaired perfusion or elevated right-sided cardiac pressures, or are secondary to drug toxicity. In this study, we analyzed the patients admitted at our center to detect the profile of cardio-hepatic syndrome. This analysis may explore new etiologies for cardio-hepatic syndrome.

Materials And Methods: This is an observational retrospective study done at our institute. We collected the liver function tests which were conducted in patients admitted in cardiology in 2015 (Jan to Dec at our center. Patients having abnormal liver function tests were analyzed for various etiologies. SGPT value > 45 Units per liter is considered as elevated.

Results: Out of the patients admitted to cardiology department, SGPT and SGOT values are available in 2803 and 4577 patients respectively. Mean age of these patients was 58±12.9 yrs.

In SGPT group 1881 were males. In 432(15.4%) patients SGPT was elevated. In them 326 (76%) were males. Among the patients in whom SGPT is elevated, also had elevated CPK and CPK-MB due to MI were in 154 patients (35.6%). In 24 patients (5.6%) SGPT was elevated along with NT pro BNP levels. Rest of the SGPT elevated patients (254 – 58.8%) does not come under CCF or MI category and out these patients about 146 patients were on either on statin or other drugs which can increase the liver enzymes. Still we require to evaluate the cause of hepatic abnormality in 106(24.5%) patients admitted with cardiac disease.

Conclusions: Cardio-hepatic syndrome is not just confined to heart failure. Though heart failure, MI and drug induced hepatic dysfunction accounted for 75.5% of the etiology, we require to see present unknown the etiology for this sub group of cardio hepatic syndrome. Further elucidating the etiology for the remaining 24.5% cardio hepatic syndrome is of much interest.

Keywords

Cardio-hepatic syndrome
heart failure
hepatic dysfunction
liver function tests
cardiac enzymes

Fulltext Views
7

PDF downloads
0
View/Download PDF
Download Citations
BibTeX
RIS
Show Sections